Clubs at North

Sh'Rai Mitchell, Staff Writer

Why aren’t you involved? PCN has wonderful clubs to join with various different things to do. There are a lot of people that you might share an interest with that you would least expect! It’s always fun in high school to get to meet new friends. As people say, make the most out of your four years in high school because if you don’t, you will regret it later on in life.

• Academic Team- The Academic Team is a quiz bowl style sport where teams compete against each other by answering trivia questions. Mrs. Malahy in the College and Career Office is the sponsor for the Academic Team. They meet Wednesdays after school in the College & Career Office.
    “The Academic Team is fun and interesting because there are lots of different subjects. You also play as a team and the more strength you give, the better the team does,”  Malahy said.

• Art Club- Art club is a club where you can express your creativity through painting, drawing and more. Mrs. Lango in room D101 is the sponsor for this club.

• Asian American Club- The Asian American Club is a club to promote Asian awareness and culture. All ethnicities are welcome. Mr. Runnels in room G114 is the sponsor for this club. They meet every other Tuesday after school. “Asia club has a lot of fun and neat ideas to promote Asian American,” Runnels said.

• BPA- BPA stands for Business Professional of America and it is a career tech/student organization for business sector courses. Mrs. Powers in room G104 is the sponsor for this club. Currently they don’t have a solid meeting schedule but the club is open to anybody. “It’s a good way to get students scholarships and help students reach their future career goals,”  Powers said.

• Creative Writing- Creative Writing club is for students who like to write. Officers come up with a writing prompt every week, and you write based on the prompt. Students can share if they would like with the rest of the club at the end of the meeting day. Mrs. Romine in room A119A is the sponsor of this club. Anybody is welcome, and they meet Thursdays from 3:15 to 4:15pm. “The great thing about the club is just the great variety of students. It’s a very different club. The students that are in my club are good writers who like to use their imaginations,” Romine said.

• Drama Club- Drama Club is a department of individuals who are passionate about performing arts, either onstage, backstage, or as an audience member. They meet once a month, you can find more about the drama club their Google Classroom (code: f3d6akr). Mrs. Hamilton is the sponsor for this club. “We love to have holiday parties, have movie evenings, go see plays, make floats for homecoming, and plan the end of the year banquet,” Hamilton said.

• ECO- ECO stands for Earth Conservation Organization, and they do environmental projects, such as recycling paper and planting flowers around the school campus. They meet every other Wednesday in room D106. Mrs. Lutz in room B131 is the sponsor for this club.
    “We are the first environmental club at PCN, and we aim to help have fun while spreading environmental awareness and making our school and our planet more sustainable,” Mrs. Lutz said.

• ESPORTS- ESPORTS is not so much of a club, but it is more of a sport where you compete in video games against other clubs. They practice every day after school in room C105. Mr. Vucic in F Hall is the sponsor for this sport.
    “ESPORTS is a new thing that just became a competitive level sport and is growing. It gives students an opportunity to get scholarships for those who want to stream and coach,” Vucic said.

• FCA- FCA stands for Fellowship of Christian Athletes. It is a student-led ministry, and students get together to talk about their shared love of Jesus. They meet every other Tuesday night in the small gym at 7 pm. Mr. Bricker in room G103 is the sponsor for this club. “Our club is unique because we have awesome leaders that use sports as a way to share about the good news of Jesus,” Bricker said.

• FCCLA– FCCLA stands for Family, Career, Community, Leaders of America, and it is a student led organization based on family community service. They compete in conferences. If you want to be a part of FCCLA you have to be enrolled in the class. Mrs. Davis (Room F103), Mrs. Roberts (Room F102), and Ms. Bachhofer (Room E105) are all sponsors for this organization.
    “Being a student-led club is a big deal. Kids can get scholarships from it, and it can help kids with careers,” Davis said.

• Hispanic Heritage Club- Hispanic Heritage Club is a club to promote Hispanic culture and all the fun things they celebrate. They meet in the upper commons at 3:10 on Mondays. Mr. Langston in room B131 is the new sponsor this school year for this club.
    “The people are nice, and it’s good to put the Hispanic heritage out there and get to know the students’ heritage,” Langston said.

• NHS- NHS stands for National Honor Society, and it is a program designed for students who have kept a 3.5 GPA since the 9th grade. It is based upon community service. Ms. Wylie in room H113 is the sponsor for this club/organization.
    “NHS is unique because we are giving the people back community service they may need,” Wylie said.

• Pup Club- Pup Club is a club where you learn about various dog types and other animals in the relative topic. They have guest speakers, they sponsor a dog wash to raise money for a local rescue, and volunteer once
    a semester on a Saturday at the local animal welfare shelters. Ms. Hopper in room B122 is the sponsor for this club. They meet once a month on Wednesdays. Follow their Remind to keep up with information about Pup Club (@pcnpupc).
    “Our club is unique because it is the only one that’s all about a human’s best friend— the dog!” Hopper said.

• Science Olympiad- Science Olympiad is a club where students get together and learn about different sciences, like Anatomy, Chemistry, and more. They build and engineer things and also get to compete in tournaments. They meet Wednesdays after school. Mr. Hendrix in room B130 is the sponsor for this club.
    “You get to challenge your brain, learn about different fields and have fun with others,” Hendrix said.

• Spectrum- Spectrum club is a GSA club that focuses on the LGBTQ+ community and allies.  Mr. Baker is the sponsor of this club. They meet every Monday after school until 4:30pm in room H117.
    “We place a high priority on relationships in Spectrum, and we spend a lot of time creating a safe space for anyone who attends, so we do a lot of get to know you events,” Baker said.

• TableTop Role Play- TableTop role play is a club where you play games, whether it be online or card games. You role play as a character and go through a campaign. They are wanting to expand into more board games. The sponsor for this club is Mr. Hendrix in room B130. They meet Tuesdays after school from 3:20 to 5:30. Anybody can come.
    “You get to meet a lot of people who are interested in geeky and nerdy things that you may also be interested in,” Hendrix said.

• TSA- TSA stands for Technology Student Association, and it is a tech/robotics club. More information can be found on Mr. Gravitt’s school website here:  Mr. Gravitt in room B103 is the sponsor for this club.

• Unified Panthers- Unified Panthers is also known as Unified Partners, and it is a club designed to develop partnerships with special needs students and those without special needs to build a stronger, more inclusive community. Everybody gets to know others and plan events for them, such as a movie night, pizza parties, or bowling nights. They meet Tuesdays at 3:15pm in room C110. Mrs. Cates is the sponsor for this club.
    “What makes us so unique is we are working towards building a stronger, more inclusive community for students with special needs,” Cates said.