The Student News Site of Putnam City North High School

The North Star

Breaking News

The North Star

The North Star

Academic Team!

Academic Team!

I’ve been attending school Academic teams since fifth grade, and this my second year with the Putnam City North team. It’s taught me numerous valuable things, brought me closer to my peers, and helped me gain confidence in our abilities. Our coach, Kelly Malahy, and my teammates Ryan Thompson, Henry and Herman Carnott, Victoria Nwankwo, Nicole Gee, and Dallen Hunt are all invaluable to the team.

Within Academic team, members can specify in numerous different subjects as broad and niche as they want. Sophomore Ryan Thompson specifies in History and Geography. “The team has been performing great; I’ve been enjoying it,” he commented.

Senior Victoria Nwankwo specifies in Current Events and Science. “I’ve seen myself grow a lot throughout this year. The youthfulness of the team has surprised and blown me away with how well we work together, and how smart and collaborative we are for being freshmen and sophomores,” Nwankwo said.

This is Mrs. Malahy’s fourth year coaching academic team, “I’m very pleased with our team’s performance. I think we’re really coming together. People are diving into their specialties and we’re working really well together,” she said of the team’s companionship.

Academic Team competes in multiple things all school year long, aside from the OSSAA Academic Team. Coming up this season, we have an Area tournament (all grades), Froshmore (for 9th and 10th grade only), an online tournament, and a few invitationals. Thompson is “excited, but a little nervous” for Area, while Nwankwo is “confident in our ability.” She elaborated, “I know we’ll do very well as a team. I’m not worried at all.”

At Area, there will be different opponents from different parts of the state, including teams that have won state before. The team is on edge, anxious to go against the best of the best. Unlike other sports, academic team focuses on building one’s own set of knowledge. “We are making new goals, accomplishing things we want to accomplish, making it further in area than we have in previous years,” Nwankwo said. If we place first, or as runner-up, we’ll make it to the State tournament. While Thompson is positive in our ability, Nwankwo is hopeful for it to be the cherry on top of her senior year.

There’s been many fantastic moments in Academic team so far, like winning our Social Studies Froshmore Bowl, or coming up with a team mascot, but Coach Malahy believes that we shouldn’t focus on a “single memory.” The best moments aren’t always about winning. “It’s the games in between tournaments; seeing that friendship and comradery,” Nwankwo said.

Our team has traveled far from previous years, with this being our best and most attended year yet. “I’ve had great kids every year, but as a cohesive team, this is the best year so far,” Malahy said.

The Putnam City North Academic team meets every Wednesday for practice, and everyone is excited for new members any time of year. Practice is free to join, and no sign up necessary.

Our season isn’t over yet, and we would love your help in any topic you enjoy. Academic team isn’t about being smart, or gifted, it’s about being determined, prepared, and excited for what comes next. Be a Trophy Gnome today; join Academic Team.