The Student News Site of Putnam City North High School

The North Star

Breaking News

The North Star

The North Star

Girl’s Basketball

Girls+Basketball

Here at North we have great sports teams, but one team that has made noticeable improvement from last year is our girls basketball team. Compared to last year, the girls have grown in a number of things like teamwork, patience, and more. With the same starting players from last year, the girls have matured and became great leaders for the younger players

Coach Martin is focusing on the team’s endurance and speed.“We’re trying to be in better shape this year. We’re trying to play fast so we put an emphasis on running not just for punishment but to keep the girls ready for the court,” Coach Martin said. However, sometimes running is used to keep the girls focused and on task.“We have two rules: a no complaining rule and no horseplay during practice, so if these rules are broken we have to do laps or extra exercises,” senior Nevaeh Sanchez

As the season began the team saw immediate success from all their hard work. “My favorite memory is our victory over Mustang because that was our first win as a team,” senior Alaysia Burroughs said. A key to being a good player is challenging yourself and what other way is better than setting goals for you to overcome? “My goal is to get my average up from last year. It’s at 15 right now and to be consistent in the gym,” Burroughs said

Being a leader is a challenge, so it’s important to have certain characteristics to be successful. “Being able to communicate with my team, and being more patient helps me to be a great leader,” Sanchez said. The team has noticed their growth and are working toward big goals

this year. “Our goals are to play as a team, get along, make it past the first round in playoffs, and to make it to the state tournament,” junior NaKaiya Dillard said.

As leader of the team coach Martin has expectations for herself and the girls. “I am trying to stay positive for the girls, especially being more encouraging and making practices harder so the games can be easy for them,” Coach Martin said

Our girls basketball have proven that they are not to be played with, and it shows in their skills, practice and their dedication. They’ve shown that they’re more than capable of dribbling a ball, and they are going to prove that they are state tournament material. Let’s hope they make it to the tournament and wish our team nothing but luck for this season.