The Student News Site of Putnam City North High School

The North Star

Breaking News

The North Star

The North Star

What’s in Store for 2024?

As a new year befalls us, and as we enter the realm of Black History, to explore the next black forms of entertainment becomes desirable. Whether in the form of an African-American producer, singer, author, or actor, their role in the industries are rising, and for good reason too!! To encourage you to perhaps bookmark and keep an eye out on all the things to come, glance at the list below. Perhaps you’ll find your new favorite show? All it takes is a little trying out of new things.

MOVIES:

Imaginary: A movie set to release March 8, 2024 created by Blumhouse, so you already know the horror is going to get real! The movie follows a girl named Jessica, moving back to her childhood home. Her stepdaughter Alice starts developing an attachment to a stuffed bear, but as time wears on, Jessica finds out the bear, Chauncey, is much more than just an ordinary stuffed bear.

The Book of Clarence: The casting of this movie is all black, the writer is black, and the director is black too. If you haven’t seen it, this movie was released earlier this year on January 12, 2024. Following a man named Clarence, the movie takes a slight religious turn when it depicts his unlucky life turning one into finding a divine path. The movie scored 68% audience rating, and 60% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and it might be worth the try!

Shirley: The information on this movie is scarce, but the history is rich. The first black congresswoman in America, all odds against her, was named Shirley Chisolm. The movie is a biopic of her life in 1969, when she defied the whole world with a wide smile on her face and her beautiful curly hair. This move is set to release March 22, 2024.

TV SHOWS:

Iwaju: Releasing June 1, 2024, Iwaju is a Disney comic-style sci-fi series that is said to explore themes of class, innocence, and challenging the status quo. Since it’s so far out, information is scarce;however, if you’re into creatively styled art and interesting theme concepts, this show might be worth the try, so keep it on your list and perhaps consider tuning in!

The Vince Staples Show: Releasing soon on February 15, 2024, The Vince Staples Show follows the mediocre rapper and actor Vince Staples and watches as he navigates the path of challenges and surprises thrown his way. The show is a Netflix original, and it would definitely not hurt to give it a try when it comes out in just a few days time!

Mr. & Mrs. Smith: Created and starring Donald Glover, this show deals with two strangers that work the glorious spying job of espionage, constant traveling, and wealth all in Manhattan, New York. However, forced into a fake marriage to play into the spying, John and Jane live a life of high-stake missions while developing their own relationship as well. This show was recently released just a little while ago on February 1, 2024.

At the end of the day, trying new things is the best way to recognize all these people who work so diligently to produce quality content. Beyond movies and TV shows, there are shows to consume, music to listen to, even podcasts to sit down and find entertainment in. The world’s rich in diversity and culture, and it leaves not a single ounce of room for that diversity to not be portrayed in media and entertainment. So, enjoy your year and everything that is in store for this 2024 because there’s a lot you may not want to miss out on!