The Student News Site of Putnam City North High School

The North Star

Breaking News

The North Star

The North Star

Asian American Club Social

Early this month, February 2nd, the Asian Clubs met at Westmoore high school to celebrate culture and mix with each other. This is the first time something such as this was done, and as a result, of course it had its downsides. There weren’t enough supplies because so many more people showed up than expected; however, that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

The social led to the important realization that there is a large community out there that wants and desires to meet new people, and with these people who willingly went to this event, there was a large amount of support for everyone, whether or not they were personally known. For example, at one point during the social event, there was a fashion show. It was quite impulsive, and anyone could go and walk in front of the crowd, but no matter what you did the cheering was at an all time high. It brought out a lot of dopamine in people, myself included, and encouraged going out of your comfort zone in front of people you’ve never met before.

At this social, there were eight schools: Westmoore, Classen SAS@NE, Putnam City North, Norman, Southmoore, Norman North, Edmond Santa Fe, and Mustang. As for events, there was a riff off, karaoke, the fashion show I mentioned before, raffle pulling, and a potluck. Though underprepared, pot luck was a demonstration of a lot of the different kinds of foods that are a part of Asian culture, especially the different regions of Asia. In concept, it’s a brilliant idea!

For a first time event, it served to be very ambitious, and the ambition was handled as well as it could be. Each club president has hopes for this social to be a recurring thing, and this event was just the beginning of that kind of tradition. Each year this dream and hope will pass on to whoever will take over the club, and ideally, it will grow not only bigger, but better and more structured as time goes on. Hopefully, as a result passion seemingly will be ignited once more in culture and cultural clubs.

People all different and alike are welcome to all these clubs, making new friends is encouraged, and going out of your comfort zone is preferred, and at the end of the day that is what the social event is all about. It’s just the first step in bringing back the desire to be involved that we lost post-COVID.