The Student News Site of Putnam City North High School

The North Star

Breaking News

The North Star

The North Star

The Gender Inequality Part

Most people agree that school districts pay more money and attention to men’s sports like football and baseball rather than any sport played by a girl. Guys get better uniforms, bigger crowds, and better funding. When speaking with some of our LadyPanthers, they shared some background on their high school sports career.

”I’ve been playing basketball all four years at this school and six years in general. I play point guard and switch to shooting guard,” senior Nevaeh Sanchez said. Most women in sports face the challenge of gender pay inequality. ” Women athletes are always told we aren’t good enough or strong enough, or won’t get paid enough. They always look down on women’s sports,” Sanchez said.

Senior and right side hitter for PCN’s varsity volleyball team Rylee Graffigna said, “I tried out for volleyball in 6th grade and didn’t make the team, but still wanted to play so I tried out for aclub and made the team. I’ve played ever since”

Some of the women who play sports at our school from volleyball to tennis have a similar opinion- guys get all the attention. “Guys sports such as football and basketball get more focus than girls sports like volleyball and the others,” Graffigna said.

Senior Lillian Miller, who’s been playing tennis all four years in high school, voiced that in general, female athletes feel they are treated differently. “A big challenge being a girl who plays sports is being treated unfairly or as if I’m less than the boys. Girls are often looked down on and treated unfairly compared to boys in this sport,” Miller said.

Girls face a lot of struggles within their gender when it comes to playing sports. Whether it’s their athletic build, how much money they get, or where their athletic career will take them, female athletes fight for equality.