The Student News Site of Putnam City North High School

The North Star

Breaking News

The North Star

The North Star

Bey is the Best

Bey Is The Best

Beyoncé Giselle Knowles-Carter also known as “Queen Bey” was born on September 4, 1981 in Houston,Texas. Best known for too many great things to count,she is also considered to be the most successful African American women artists in today’s music industry. She started her career off in talent shows and performances when she was only a young child. In the 90’s, she came to the world with what would later be the best selling R&B girl group Girls Tyme (Támar Davis, Kelly Rowland, LaTavia Roberson, Nikki Taylor, and Nina Taylor) which later was named Destiny’s Child. In 1996 they were signed by Columbia Records, and they had several hit songs. The first was No, No,No. Then they released great albums like Destiny’s Child the album(1998), Writing’s on the Wall, which was their first number one single to hit US charts, and then in March of 2000 Say My Name, also hit number one on the US Charts. They’ve also had additional great albums like Survivor, Destiny Fulfilled , 8 Days Of Christmas and more.

Once these stars in this amazing group went solo, it’s like they became even more successful than before, especially Beyonce. Her solo career started with the album, Dangerously in Love, in 2003, and she actually won five Grammys for just that one album. She has other great albums like B’Day(2006), I Am….Sasha Fierce(2008), Love Letters(2008), Beyonce(2013) and more. She began her acting career in 2001 with movies like Carmen: A Hip-Hopera (2001), Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002) The Fighting Temptations (2003), The Pink Panther, and Dream Girls (2006). She also starred in Cadillac Records (2008) and Obsessed (2009). They’re all great movies and if you haven’t, you should watch them, and if you have to watch them again.

By the time we get to 2016, our beautiful Queen Bey has married Jay Z, given birth to Blue Ivy, sung at Barack Obama’s inauguration and more other overachieving things like performing at the Super Bowl halftime show with Bruno Mars. She gave us the album Lemonade (2016), the year after she gave birth to twins Rumi and Sir Carter while preparing to unknowingly become the first Black woman to headline Coachella music festival (2018.) Her show included 100 dancers, five costume changes, a full HBCU marching band, majorettes, step dancing, and dozens of guest artists. It was beyond extravagant.

Her most recent album Renaissance (2022) was listed number one on the Billboard top 200 albums chart, the first album released by a woman in 2022 to top the Billboard 200. This specific album has so much put into it, from all the samples, unknown artists, and more. This album is dance floor music, and LGBTQ ballroom music, celebrating the clubs made by and for Black women and queer people, Black Chicagoans and Detroiters and New Yorkers who created house and techno, Black and Latinx ball and kiki houses.

She just ended her world tour for the Renaissance album, and as always, The Queen never fails to entertain and show love to her supporters. This tour had everything to love: amazing choreography, top tier, one of a kind outfits, a very expensive set up, and just great vibes that probably can’t be duplicated without having something even greater. She also brought Blue out to the stage to perform with her, which turned out amazing, as expected. The Renaissance film is amazing as well. It’s like actually being at the concert, but being in the background at the same time, so if you want to get at least a taste of the Renaissance tour experience, you should most definitely watch it.